This post is a combination of a few things… some thoughts inspired by real life experiences in 2013, some thoughts inspired by devotion for 2014 and 30+ years of life. Hope it blessed you!
Last year’s goals are important.
I’m looking over my goals for 2013 and am categorizing them as follows:
1. Wasn’t God’s will.
2. I accomplished this goal!
3. I didn’t work hard enough to accomplish this goal. Need new strategy for 2014.
4. I was hopeful and overshot and can revisit for 2014.
A few Facebook posts from this year that sum up the progress I hope to be making.
September 28, 2013: I know enough Facebook friends in real life to know that lovey dovey posts about their spouses, friends and organizational affiliations normally don’t equate to commitment and dedication live and in living color! I hope that when I post that that I love something, those connected aren’t thinking, “uh…” Nevertheless… Here’s my bold proclamation: I love Jesus, my family and real friends, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., college football, community service, Nordstrom, traveling and mentoring/coaching!
September 17, 2013: Don’t let the people who criticize you distract you from making progress. Learn to properly categorize feedback. If it is constructive, integrate. If it is destructive, say thank you and keep it pushing.
August 18, 2013: 11 murders in Oakland over the weekend. How many of those folks planned to die? Our days are all numbered. Must live with purpose and intention.
July 1, 2013: I was sitting on the plane and an older couple asked if they could sit next to me. I wanted to say no but I didn’t own the seats. The wife immediately started asking me “what are you reading?” “Did you play basketball?” “Where are you headed?” I tried to be nice and thankfully, her husband shut her down. Shortly after, Mayor Kevin Johnson and his wife boarded and the lady yelled, “Mayor Johnson!! We go to Capital Christian Center!” The mayor acknowledged her ad told her she had a great pastor. The husband asked me what church I went to and we started talking about Jesus and family… from then on, I gave up on my book because these people weren’t intending to stop with the 100 questions. Long story short… after speaking with them, I decided to pray for them (to myself) and as soon as I started doing so, the wife said “There is something I want to pray for you for. What do you have before God?” I returned the courtesy, only to learn that the husband and I were praying about the same thing… anyway… these people blessed my life even though I didn’t feel like being bothered with them initially! Service and ministry call for huge sacrifice. One of many reminders I got over the last week. I’m asking all of you to say a special prayer for my new friends Allen and Helen. Pray that God would bless their families, ministry and enlarge their territory for his glory! [A :LESSON IN MINISTRY]
March 1, 2013: My granny gives the best “how to deal with church people” advice! Its somewhere between “street” and “wise” and always in line with the word! This is where I get my “foolishness-free” attitude from! LOL!
Some scriptures for the New Year.
1. “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven” – Ecclesiastes 3:1
2. “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.” Isaiah 43:18-19
3. “So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.” Psalm 90:12
4. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
5. “In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.” Proverbs 16:9
6. “Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:13-14
7. “You crown the year with your bounty, and your carts overflow with abundance.” Psalm 65:11
8. “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” Genesis 1:1
9. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” 2 Corinthians 5:17
10. “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.” 1 Peter 1:3
11. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6
12. “…but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31
13. “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” Lamentations 3: 22-24
14. “He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.” Ecclesiastes 3:11
15. “One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?” “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:28:31
16. “A blessing for you, because the Lord your God loves you.” Deuteronomy 23:5
17. “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. Then you will live in the land I gave your ancestors; you will be my people, and I will be your God.” Ezekiel 36:26-28
18. “Sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth. Sing to the Lord, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples.” Psalm 96: 1-3
19. “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.” James 1:17-18
20. “Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always. Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced,…” 1 Chronicles 16:11-12
21. “And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” Mark 11:25-26
22. “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.” Colossians 3:15
23. “The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.” Zephaniah 3:17
24. “May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.” Psalm 20:4
25. “Look at the nations and watch— and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told.” Habakkuk 1:5